Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Language of Worlds: Renewal of Spirit

I was wondering why this linkup looked so familiar, then realized that not only have I read other participant's links before, but I had tried to join the linkup for the last segment, and didn't get around to finishing it. *headdesk* It's almost finished, though, and it focuses on worldbuilding (which I worked so hard on), so I might post it anyways at some point...
For this set of questions, I've chosen the character Notah, because he's been cagey and annoying me. Since he doesn't trust me to summarize things properly, he'll be responding in dialogue. XP
Enjoy!

The Language of Worlds 1
Click to head to Liv's blog!

The Questions



1. Your character is in crisis! Who is the first person they turn to?

"My life is a crisis. Save for the exiguously exciting embrace of stories, I have no one."
*RAWK!*
"The acerbic avian that was, without my consent, given a ridiculously childish name doesn't count. It can't really do more than bring me the aforementioned stories."
*JUJU, JUJU!*
"Yes. That name. I hate it."

2. Who has their unconditional loyalty?

"No one. People are stupid. Though admittedly, they are fun to watch. A few heroes have my admiration and respect, but most of them are dead."
*flap of wings* *Your fault!*
"ONCE. And I apologized."
Wait, what?
"An episode of my life you needn't concern yourself about at the moment, scribe. Moving on, please."

3. What cause do they believe in? Why?

"Oh. That's...a question I'm not sure I can answer. Living one's life alone with no means of escape may leave one with plenty of time for soul-searching, but not much by way of material to muse over."

4. Are they easy to get along with?

"I'm locked in a tower, and have been for most of my life. So probably not."
*Agree!*
"No one asked you, bird."
*JUJU GOOD NAME. CALL ME JUJU!*
*wings striking against someone* *muffled exclamations* *irascible caws*
"If you value this--ech! ow!--interview, scribe, help me!"
*after scrambling about in the darkness, crisis averted*

5. Are they a night owl or morning dove? (Or “weird daytime pigeon”?)

"A question about birds when we've just expelled one. Wonderful. What does that even mean?"
To rephrase the question: how much do you value your sleep?
"Any who disturb my slumber are begging to be beshrewed."
You mean cursed? I thought you hated curses and Stagnation.
"I would be willing to make an exception."

6. What do they consider most vital to their health? Are they right?

"Tales of heroism, wit, and strange encounters are the only things keeping me from despair. Tell me, am I right in saying that they're vital to keeping me alive?"
Er, yes, in that your race--the Haize--are intrinsically linked to stories, and are meant to either weave--
"Don't strain yourself in an attempt to be poetic."
--or find and relate them. No, in that you won't die if stories are long in coming. You'll just get cranky. Not that you're not already a crank, and yes I'm ignoring your comment.
"Yet you answered it, first by acknowledging its existence, then by stating your reaction to it. If you had just been quiet--"
Moving on.

7. What was their childhood fear?

"Being kidnapped by a Witch. Oh, wait, that's what happened to me. You are conveying my sarcasm, yes? I fear nothing."
Except for contact with others.
"I don't fear it; I'm understandably trepidacious."
Is that why you sang a...whatever this is, into the room?
"Are you really so dense? It's darkness. Easy enough to pull together, especially with the Witch's Stagnation lingering outside. I've no wish for you to see my face."
Why? Are you hideous?
"Maybe."

8. What do they have nightmares about?

"Nightmares? Hmm, being reunited with my people, I suppose. Those are the only dreams that move me to tears. That's what nightmares do, isn't it? Or are they supposed to leave you trembling, short of breath, perhaps angered? In which case, my life is a nightmare. Now go away. Two more questions? Bah, proceed."

9. What sights/sounds/smells remind them of home?

"My home lies in a realm separated from the physical world. And yet, everything tugs at my senses: calling me to hear a song that isn't there, to sense a presence that I cannot reach, to become part of a dance that my body is no longer capable of. Flesh and blood are repugnant and restrictive, I don't know how anyone can define such a...a tethered existence as 'normal.' As an aside, the scribe keeps misspelling words such as "existence" and "embarrassed," despite owning a device that tells her how to spell correctly. There, now they know a tidbit about you that's somewhat personal. Last question."
At least I can spell. And read.
"I refuse to examine the pressed and mutilated bodies of dead Planters. Last question, before I change my mind."

10. What do they love most about themselves?

"What sort of banal question is this?! What does it matter what I so much as think about myself, let alone love about myself? What if anything worthy of love is nowhere to be found?"
I take it you loathe this question the way I loathe the question "how are you doing?"
"Oh?"
Yup. Don't ask, then I don't have to think about it.
"Just so."
Now, how am I supposed to leave? Stumble around until I fall out the window?
"You're the one with the power to shape worlds. Do you not have the power to leave whenever you wish? Hmm, I wouldn't object to your suggestion. If you would like a fast exit, I could defenestrate you."

No comments:

Post a Comment