Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Beautiful Books: The Seer

I'd add the linkup button, but for whatever reason, Blogger is giving me a red banner saying I shouldn't add it...
So instead, click the following hyperlink to check out Paper Fury!
Now onto the questions.


********
1. Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?

the muppets
From giphy.com
I'm over 15K behind...and work is giving me little time to actually sit down and write. :P
Though I have been getting snippets written here and there. So yay!

2. What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
Weeeeeeel, I changed it in the past few days, so here they both are. At the moment, I’m going off the second one with the character change.
***
1. Mara stood on the balcony of cabin ML. Below, in the gathering area of Camp Dragon Loft, the games were being arranged. Campers trickled into the area like so much grease.
“Aren’t you going to join the others?”
Mara glanced back at the cabin mother.  She always seemed to be smiling. “No.”
“Why not?”
Mara braced herself for a lecture on the importance of physical activity. When it didn’t come, she shrugged. “I don’t care to.” She hated the noise, the lightning-fast pace, and the breakdown that seemed to happen between people’s minds and decency.
2. Herman became conscious of a pulsing in his chest. He hated, yet anticipated, his moments of wakefulness. Hated because he could do nothing but listen. Anticipated because it was better than being trapped in sleep.
“You’ll do nicely,” said his father’s voice, muffled by the glass encasing Herman. “Yes, soon you’ll accept my soul, and the work will continue.”
I’m your son, Herman wanted to scream, not your clone! Get me out!
***
3. Who’s your current favourite character in your novel?
I really like Mara (she was the original protagonist), but she’s kind of cold and distant. At least to other people, and that’s how she’s started seeing herself, so…yeah, sort of dark and brooding type of charrie. I like her. XD
I like Herman, too, but he just became the protag a couple days ago. We’ll see how he works out. *prepares gauntlet* ;)

4. What do you love about your novel so far?
Dragons. I like the dragons in this world. And the fact that it’s connected to another one of my stories. :D

5. Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?
The only consistent typos I find I make are misspelling “embarrassed,” and the occasional scramble of a character’s name. There are others that happen, of course, but I usually fix them right away and don't remember them afterwards.

6. What is your favourite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
It depends on the story. With most stories, it’s splurging the beginning out onto the paper. When I have to start stressing about getting it "just right," then I prefer the end.

7. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
If I have a few spare minutes, I sit down and try to write anything (more often than not, it’s a WIP other than the one I’m supposed to be working on).
I rarely have food while I’m typing because both hands are occupied, but sometimes I’ll have a coffee, or apple slices, things like that.
I tend to write better at night, or mid-morning.
And no pics because I just got a new desk (yay!) and it’s still kind of a mess. Well, my desk is always a mess... ^.^’

8. How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?
I really like sharing things about my stories…but only if I trust people. Which is why I don’t have many specifics on my blogs; they're open to just about anyone. :P
I’m okay with sharing rough-draft snippets, though, because it’s probably going to go through a handful of changes before the week is out.
I don’t think I need a cheer squad, but having someone/some people to encourage me while I’m writing definitely keeps me from slacking.

9. What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
Um, depends on the type of “hard.” If it’s “agh, words, coming they are not,” I just play some epic/fantasy/instrumental music. It gets me going (even if it’s on a totally different project… ;))
If it’s “wut happening now?” then dares and character chats with online friends usually makes for some interesting and inspiring material.

10. What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
Don't write alone; at least have someone to bounce ideas off of.
To paraphrase Jack London: Chase/cage the plot bunnies until they give you something useful. (Original quote: "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.")
And my final piece of advice:
(sighs and goes back to writing) Olaf has shamed me for going on pinterest when there's a story to be written. LOL!!:

No comments:

Post a Comment